Saturday 20 October 2007

Ponderings

This week is anti-poverty week and this week I stood up with others, in my cohort, in my school and in the world, in united solidarity, against depravity. We took a pledge together, something I take very seriously. Today, I walked through Keilor Downs and pondered to myself about change and considered many wise sayings about how to change the world, and then I realized that change begins within oneself, as the Dali Lama said, you must "Be the change you wish to see in the world", for in that way, one can truly by example. Change then spreads, from person to person, and like the small stones that begin an avalanche, it gains momentum.
I then began pondering what my greatest achievement is and I realized that it was not something trivial or remarkable, but rather something simple... making a person smile, for all the right reasons. I also began to think about my greatest regret and I concluded that it was making a person shed their tears because of sadness or hurt that I had caused. Through combining the two, I realized my goal in life. My goal in life is not to do one great thing, but rather, to do many simple things with great love. It was Mother Teresa who wisely advised to "Do small things with great love." Such advice I take now to heart.

No comments: