Thursday 17 January 2008

I have something to admit that I'm not exceptionally proud of. I feel and think that I've been a bad friend. A little insight on the situation.... my friend Sami is in hospital. To not reveal too much, since it involves a personal issue, I will not reveal why she is there, but the point of the matter is that she is. I have not visited her or even called her. My excuse? Oh wait, yes.... there isn't one. I feel bad about this... as I said, I had to admit something that I was not proud of. Ash and Brooke have gone to visit her (for whatever reason, I was not invited) but why should they even have considered inviting me? After-all, I didn't even call Sami to see if she was okay. Is that friendship? Does that demonstrate concern for anyone other than myself?
In the past few days I've just been procrastinating, lazing around the house. At no point in my inactivity did I even think to call a friend of mine who has always been there for me. Is that friendship? What have I demonstrated here, other than a wholesome lack of compassion... a lack of feeling, as my grandmother would call it.
In truth, I've been involved in a long-running forum discussion that has had me enthralled. And while lost in the heat of the debates I find myself in, I forgot about those most important. I feel awful about this. I feel as though I have betrayed someones friendship. Why should I expect to receive Sami's support, as I have in so many times of need, when I fail miserably to give her any in her times of need?
Here I am, claiming to be a personalist, and yet I mistreat my own friends. Here I am claiming that people are what matter, and yet failing to show why.
I'm sorry Sami. I'm sorry for failing you as a friend.
My New Year's Resolution (I know it's late) is to live-out my personalist perspective in my life, and to hopefully... truly demonstrate an appreciation for the people in my life- my friends, my family... because it's these people, these people, who are always there for me. In turn, I should be there for them.

No comments: