Tuesday 18 September 2007

Rambling...

Spring-cleaning with my grand-mother today I found an interesting little book, completely by chance. My baka read it and told me of the story- of a young boy who lived in utter simplicity. It sounded touching just hearing about it. I wish I could read it, but my Croatian literacy is not so keen.
Makes think however... Here I am, fortunate probably more than I deserve. My life is filled with such wonderful people. I have an education that stimulates my keen mind. Food on the table each day. People to talk to. A school to go to. Friends who support me. I really am lucky. 
But then why do I feel guilty? Especially when I receive a material gift. I sometimes fear that all this material extravagance will place a veil before my eyes, making me forget what's really important- the people in my life that make it what it is. I feel like a hypocrite, struggling to practice what I say. I don't want to get caught-up with things of material luxury. I want to contribute to making a difference for the better- to helping people. I've always believed that there is greatness in humility.
I hope this post makes sense. It does to myself, but it's difficult to articulate what crowds my mind at the present.

No comments: